Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Military Scams and SPAM

Spam is bad enough.

Scams are bad enough.

But the most disgusting of them arrived in my e-mail box this morning. The subject line was simply SGT so naturally I opened it. If you get one, you can open it if you want but I wouldn't. I found it more repulsive than all the stuff that comes out of Nigeria and all the Viagara and organ englarging ploys I get put together. It not only plays on innocents for money from the unsuspecting but it uses our military and our soldiers to do it. Here is the message minus anything that would help advertise the scammers.

I hope my email find you well. I am in need of your assistance. My name is Sgt.

XXX (here is inserted a very American name, if I ever heard one!). I am an American soldier serving in the 1st Armored Division in Iraq, we have just been posted out of Iraq and to return in a short while. My colleague and I need your help to transfer out the sum of Twenty Five Million U.S Dollars (US25.0M).

God Bless You!!
Sgt XXXXX
e-mail address XXXX


If you want to help soldiers, there are ways to do it and make sure your money, time and good will are going to deserving soldiers. Find segments on this blog, as an example, for organizations that help our soldiers and little, inexpensive ways you can help. And if you know of organizations that help our veterans and active military, please let me know. I'll add those resources to this blog.

Technorati Tags:
, , ,



------
Carolyn Howard-Johnson wrote the foreword for Eric Dinyer's book of patriotic quotations, Support Our Troops, published by Andrews McMeel. Part of the proceeds for the book benefit Fisher House. Her chapbook of poetry won the Military Writers Society of America's award of excellence. Find it at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1599240173/

No comments: