Search This Blog

Followers

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ranting About Tolerance, Raving About "Boy in the Striped Pajamas"

I used to do movie reviews for the Glendale News-Press. I can't get out of the habit so I do snappy mini movie reviews along with book promotion tips on www.twitter.com/frugalbookpromo. But last night I saw a movie that I must at least tell you about. It is "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas."

In my area (Southern California), it's at the Laemle, an art house in Pasadena. I hope you don't have trouble finding it. Based on a book that has to be one of the great tragedies of all times, it is a beautiful period piece set in WWII Berlin and near a death camp. No, it isn't easy viewing. But it is a must see for anyone who cares about tolerance and can see that combatting it is the way to reach for peace in the world.

This can't be a full review (I'm on my way to Malibu to walk the beach for a little reflection!) but keep in mind that that at first the protagonis may appear to be Bruno, the eight-year-old son of a German officer. But the tragic character, the one with the tragic flaws and hubris, is his father.

What a statement on tolerance and forgiveness this one is!

-----
Carolyn Howard-Johnson wrote the foreword for Eric Dinyer's book of patriotic quotations, Support Our Troops, published by Andrews McMeel. Part of the proceeds for the book benefit Fisher House. Her chapbook of poetry won the Military Writers Society of America's award of excellence. Find it at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1599240173/ref=cm_pdp_arms_dp_4

No comments: